Amerisleep is a household name when it comes to mattresses. This is a USA manufacturer that designs and makes its beds in the state of Indiana. The fact that its mattresses are wholly made in the USA not only saves on imports, but it also boosts its consumers’ level of confidence in the quality of materials that go in each bed.
This manufacturer currently sells five mattresses; AS1, AS2, AS3, AS4, and AS5. All of these mattresses share a few themes, including the use of bio-based memory foam and a Celliant cover.
However, they differ a lot in terms of height, firmness level, and, of course, price. Here is a quick breakdown of each of the above Amerisleep mattresses;
- AS1– this is the firmest mattress in Amerisleep’s AS line and corresponds to an 8 on our 1-10 firmness scale. It has a height of 10 inches and tends to favor heavier people, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. There’s no limitation, though. If you prefer the feeling of sleeping on a rock, this model will do.
- AS2– this is a 12-inch medium-firm bed that we’d classify as a 7.5. As such, we’d recommend it to average-weight and heavyweight back and stomach sleepers and anyone else who prefers a mattress that is not so firm. This mattress is also popular with people with back pain issues.
- AS3– this is the most popular model in this AS line and what we are going to review here. This 12-inch mattress has what we’d call a true medium-firm feel at 5.5 on our firmness scale. It offers a near-perfect balance of comfort and support and tends to accommodate most lightweight to average-weight combo sleepers and side sleepers. Couples with varying sleep needs also rate it highly due to its versatile compatibility.
- AS4– this is a 12” mattress too that sits around the medium-firm level but skews slightly on the softer side. On average, we’d rate it at 5. Our mattress review team recommends this model to light-weight side sleepers and those who prefer the cradling traits of memory foam.
- AS5– the AS5 is the softest mattress in Amerisleep’s AS collection. This is a 14-inch all-foam bed that features a special layer that Amerisleep dubs Active Flex. The AS5 will make an excellent choice for lightweight people plus anyone else who likes sleeping on a cloud-soft mattress.
For this Amerisleep mattress review, we won’t go through all the models above. Instead, we are going to concentrate on the AS3, which is the most popular and what most people tend to go with. So, let’s dive in and see what is in its construction and what makes it so popular.
Who do we recommend it for?
- Lightweight to Average-weight sleepers– this mattress has a near-perfect balance of support and comfort, which makes it ideal for individuals who weigh 230 lbs and below.
- Lovers of memory foam– as a medium-firm mattress, the AS3 has that classic memory foam feel that lets you slowly sink into the bed.
- Individuals looking for the cradling effect of memory foam but don’t like feeling stuck– the AS3 has the pressure relief attributes of traditional memory foam. However, the mattress review experts at SleepSharp appreciate that this bed’s foams are slightly more responsive. This helps a great deal in boosting mobility on the surface.
- Couples and people who share beds– with the ability to accommodate sleepers up to 230 lbs in weight and pretty much all sleeping positions, this mattress is an incredible choice for partners who can’t agree on the best bed.
AmeriSleep AS3 Mattress Awards
Amerisleep Mattress Construction- Know why it’s different
The AS3 uses the same cover that Amerisleep uses for the entire AS line. This cover has a soft and stretchy feel thanks to its blend of 77% polyester, 21% Celliant fabric, and 2% Spandex. Polyester and Spandex may not be so strange to you, but what is Celliant?
Well, Celliant is a new fabric technology that, according to the originator-Hologenix, converts your body heat into infrared energy before recycling it back into your skin. Experts say that this helps in increasing blood flow, thereby boosting energy levels, muscle recovery, and performance.
Honestly, SleepSharp can’t vouch for these claims. However, the fact that the FDA approved the use of this technology as a medical device in promoting increased blood flow should tell you something about its reliability.
Another aspect of this cover that we can’t fail to recognize here is that it’s both removable and machine-washable. Most bed-in-a-box mattresses with removable covers often require dry cleaning, which means additional costs. So, that’s a bonus with the AS3.
The comfort layer of the AS3 is a 3-inch block made of Bio-Pur foam. In case you are wondering, Bio-Pur refers to a foam that uses both plant-based oils and petroleum-based ingredients. To our mattress review team, this foam is somewhat greener than those that use 100% petro products.
What we like so much, however, is its large open-cell structure that allows free circulation of air to prevent heat buildup.
Featuring a PCF rating of 4, this comfort layer has a medium-firm feel that offers the user a noticeable body contouring. It also has an unmistakable responsiveness that we don’t always come across in traditional memory foam.
The transition layer is a 2-inch poly foam with 1.65 PCF. This is a high-density layer that protects you from feeling the firm core layer. The transition layer also throws in some support, so you won’t feel like the comfort block is swallowing you whole.
The last layer of the Amerisleep AS3 is a very dense and firm Bio-core poly foam that is responsible for the overall support in this mattress. This layer has a density of 1.8 PCF and measures 7 inches in thickness.
If you’ve perused most of our mattress reviews, you’ll realize that most manufacturers use a base layer of around 5 inches in thickness. We believe the two inches that Amerisleep uses here will go a long way in minimizing the rate of sagging and prolonging the overall durability of the mattress.
Thanks to its density, this layer also helps in maintaining a level sleeping surface besides strengthening the edges.
What is the height of the Amerisleep mattress?
As a recap of the construction details above, the Amerisleep mattress has a 3-inch comfort system, a 2-inch transition layer, and a 7-inch support core. In total, this bed has a thickness of 12 inches, a range that our mattress review experts recommend a lot when guiding on the best mattress height.
In our experience with different mattress heights, 12-inch medium-firm beds tend to accommodate most people across a wide weight range and different sleep positions.
Amerisleep Mattress Specifications
|Firmness level||Medium-Firm (5.5/10)|
21% Celliant fabric
|Comfort System||3” Medium-density 4 PCF Bio-Pur Foam|
|Transition Layer||2” High-density 1.65 PCF Poly Foam.|
|Base Support||7” 1.8 PCF High-density Bio-Core Foam|
How Firm does the AmeriSleep AS3 mattress feel?
SleepSharp mattress review experts rate the feel of the AS3 at 5.5 on our firmness scale. When you first lie on the mattress, you’ll experience a flash second firmness and then a slow sinking feeling as the memory foam “melts” beneath you.
Since the comfort layer has low density, average weight sleepers tend to sink in until the memory foam wraps around their body into a close cradle.
However, you’ll find that this mattress does not trap you in your bed. This makes it notably easier to switch positions compared to most competitor beds. This is one of the highly-rated attributes in most Amerisleep mattress reviews.
Performance Ratings- Amerisleep Mattress in Action
In our mattress reviews, this is the section that gives you a close look into how a particular bed behaves in various key aspects.
Amerisleep has put several measures in place to prevent excessive heat buildup on this mattress. For instance, the large open cell structure of the comfort layer is intended to boost air circulation. The Celliant fiber cover also aims at drawing heat away from you, thereby creating a cooler sleeping surface.
Despite all these, the above-average contouring effect of the comfort layer can lead to heat buildup. As it cradles you, this layer forms pockets that restrict airflow and trap body heat. In that case, it might not be the best if you sleep overly hot.
What the Amerisleep lacks in temperature regulation, it makes up for it in isolating isolation. The medium-density in this mattress absorbs most of the energy resulting in very little motion transfer across the bed. This is a feature that you are going to like a lot if you are sensitive to movements on the bed.
All-foam mattresses have the reputation of being super silent even when compressed. First of all, these mattresses don’t have any moving parts, such as springs. Secondly, the layers of foam absorb even the slightest movement energy when turning or switching positions to offer you a bed that is virtually silent in all conditions.
The Amerisleep AS3 performs below average in terms of offering edge support. As a soft mattress, it sinks a lot when you sit along the edges, and this can be an issue for some people. Although most lightweight individuals report that they can confidently lie on the edge, heavier folks may feel like they are rolling off. This below-average performance is an issue with almost all soft mattresses, though.
Generally, memory foam isn’t the best material in terms of facilitating sex. Since it creates a sense of sinking into the mattress, most people find that it restricts movement and the ease of switching positions. In addition, memory foam mattresses aren’t as bouncy.
While the Amerisleep AS3 suffers from all of these issues, it has a notable resilience that can help alleviate the problem of changing positions.So, if you don’t rely so much on bounce during intercourse, we bet you’ll like this bed.
Judging from the Amerisleep mattress reviews and feedback from people who are using this bed at the moment, pressure relief is a chief advantage of the AS3. Due to the soft foam that makes its comfort layer, this mattress offers a significant hug as it contours to your body shape. It holds your spine, shoulders, and hips in a near-natural alignment promoting optimum relaxation and pressure relief.
There will be a chemical smell when you remove this mattress from its packaging as the VOCs break down. However, this smell is not harmful or overwhelming. Again, it will go in a matter of hours or 2-3 days at most.
The Bio-Pur and Bio-Core memory foam layers that Amerisleep uses for its AS mattresses score highly in most tests regarding durability. When used by a lightweight or average weight individual, the least number of years that we expect from this mattress is 7 years.
Thanks to its high-density transition and support layers, mattress reviews from people who’ve used the AS3 for some years note that it does not sag as quickly as other memory foam beds. That’s a good indicator of a durable bed.
Performance Rating Score Table
|Performance||Our rating (out of 5)|
Amerisleep Mattress vs. Your Weight and Sleeping Position
Light sleepers- less than 130 lbs
With its medium-density level, the Amerisleep AS3 seems to boast just the right combination of comfort and support for lightweight sleepers. We expect this group of individuals to sink slightly through the first layer for a comfortable cradling effect that will result in excellent pressure relief.
Regardless of the sleeping position, this mattress is unlikely to cause pressure points or back pains thanks to the thick medium-density comfort system.
Average weight sleepers- 130 lbs to 230 lbs
True to our expectations, average weight sleepers have lots of praises for this mattress. However, unlike with the lightweight group, some back and stomach sleepers may feel like the bed sinks a little more around the lumbar region. Side sleepers in this category don’t have issues with support or comfort, though.
Heavyweight sleepers- above 230 lbs
As you put heavier sleepers on this mattress, issues of lack of support followed by pressure points start to increase, especially from stomach and back sleepers. Some heavyweight side sleepers who prefer lying on a firm mattress may feel some pressure relief. Keep in mind that not all side sleepers in this category are going to like it. Most people in this category prefer a bed that is slightly on the heavier side.
Sleep Position Ratings (1-5)
|Weight / |
Less than 130 lbs
|Average weight |
130 to 230 lbs
Above 230 lbs
How much does Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Cost?
|Size||Mattress Dimensions||Mattress Price|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 12”||$1099|
|Twin xl||38” x 79” x 12”||$1149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1249|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1699|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,699|
|Split King||38” by 80” x 12” (x2)||$2098|
Amerisleep Return and Refund Policy
Similar to most bed-in-a-box brands, Amerisleep offers you 100 days to try the mattress and determine whether it works for you. If it doesn’t (it happens at times), you are free to return it for a full refund, and Amerisleep will take care of all shipping costs. There are a few things to note about this return and refund policy, though;
- First, there’s a mandatory 30-day break-in period. You can’t return the mattress within the first 30 days after purchase.
- You can exchange your mattress during the trial period for another Amerisleep bed.
- If you get the wrong size, you may not be allowed to return or exchange the mattress.
Amerisleep Mattress Warranty Analysis
After the elapse of the trial period, you get a 20-year warranty from the manufacturer. The first 10 years of this warranty will be prorated. This means that Amerisleep will repair any quality defects with no cost on your side. However, for the last 10 years, you’ll need to pay 50% of the original price to get a replacement for your defective mattress. Read more about this warranty here.
Regular Complaints about Amerisleep Mattress that we’ve come across
- Mattress sleeps hot – As a medium-firm memory foam mattress, the Amerisleep AS3 may retain heat as it cradles you. This complaint is more prevalent among people who are closer to 230 lbs in weight.
- It’s not as responsive – Although this mattress has a little bit more responsiveness than most memory foam beds, it’s still far from what you’d get with an innerspring mattress. So, if you are moving from a spring-based bed, you may need to be patient as your body gets used to it.
- You sleep IN the mattress not ON it – Sure, this is another issue that most memory foam first-time users tend to raise a lot. The soft comfort layer of this mattress will melt in response to your body temperature and pressure and envelope you. So, if you prefer sleeping ON the bed, you may need to go with its firmer variations or consider an innerspring.
- It’s pricier – Although these are memory foam mattresses just like others outside there, Amerisleep has a couple of technologies that you’ll hear only with its beds, including Bio-Pur, Bio-Core, and Celliant. Expect to pay a little bit more for these extras.
- Mattress has no bounce – Memory foam mattresses suffer from a lack of bounce more than latex. If this is a must-have for you, then you may want to consider other options.
If you’ve come this far, it’s apparent that you are determined to get this bed. We’re hopeful that this Amerisleep mattress review has touched on all that you wanted to know about the AS3. Overall, for people who don’t mind spending a little bit more on a good mattress, we believe this bed will fit the bill. Among other things, we like that it’s well-made, it’s a little greener, and it tends to accommodate most sleepers.